Friday, May 1, 2009

A Dream Come True!!!

Last weekend I got to live out a dream that I have had for a long time! I know that some of you probably think I'm stupid or crazy, but NASCAR is one of my passions and I've wanted to go to Talladega for years. Well, my amazing husband got me tickets to Talladega for Christmas and I've been excited ever since. It really hit me Thursday that I was actually going there!

Bill and I left around 9 on Friday morning. We stopped for breakfast in Evansville, stopped right outside of Hopkinsville, KY for a break, and were in Birmingham, Alabama around 4:30 p.m. The track is out in the middle of nowhere, which means there aren't any hotels and Bill and I don't camp, so we stayed in Birmingham, which is only about 45 minutes away from the track. I was so glad to get to Birmingham, because, as much as I love my husband, he isn't the best driver! Once we got to our hotel, we went and ate @ Jim and Nick's BBQ. It is one of the best BBQ's that I have ever eaten, as well as pretty cheap. Bill was very satisfied because he was dying to eat BBQ while we were in the south. We stopped @ Target after eating to get a few snacks to take to the track, since food is so expensive there! We then went to the hotel and called it a night-the next day was going to be a full day!

Of all Saturday's, I woke up around 6 something and couldn't sleep. I was too excited I guess! Bill and I got up and ready, eat breakfast, and headed to the track. As we got closer and closer, I was getting really excited and butterflies were in my stomach. Once I saw the track, I couldn't stop smiling! I know I'm a dork! After we parked, we headed to look around the track at all of the vendors. Bill immediately went to the Dale Jr. vendor and had to have a new hat, since he doesn't like the way his other one fit. I looked at Jeff's vendor, but I couldn't decide on what shirt I wanted to I decided to wait until the next day. We then made our way to the track and it was just amazing. The track is so big and the banks of the corners are so high! We watched the rest of Cup qualifying and waited for the Nationwide race to start. It was a really good race, which was won by David Ragan, his first win! Here are some pics from the Nationwide race!

We finally made it!!!!
A view of the track!

Green flag @ the Nationwide race
Kelley's fav Steven Wallace!
Last lap!!!


The next day was a little earlier, but I didn't care. We went to the track and I finally decided on a Jeff shirt. He was running a retro Pepsi car, one like Darrell Waltrip drove in the 80's. I thought since I was there for that race, I would get that shirt. After that, we went by the NASCAR Race Day show and saw some of the guys on that show. We decided to sit under the shade until driver introductions started because we would be in the sun the rest of the day. After driver introductions, the race began and it was so awesome. The sound of the engines going around 200 mph was amazing, something that I have waited to hear for such a long time! Although the race started off well, on lap 7, stupid Matt Kenseth thought he was clear and he hit Jeff and a huge wreck happened! 7 or 8 cars were taken out in the wreck, and my day was over! Just kidding! Although I was pretty bummed, I wouldn't let that bother me since I had waited so long to go to a race there! The race turned out to be pretty good, except the end. Brad Keselowski (?) spun Carl Edwards out on the last lap and won! He doesn't even drive regularly in the Cup series. I was disappointed in the end, but it was a great day-one I will never forget!

Once the race was over, we sat in the parking lot for 2 HOURS!! We didn't move about 30 yards! It was awful! We didn't leave Birmingham until 10:30, and we had to drive all the way home. Bill drove first, while I slept and then we switched! We got home around 4:35 on Monday morning. I was suppose to work Monday, but there was no way that was going to happen. Bill even slept in a while that morning and didn't go to work until 10. It was a great weekend! Thanks to my wonderfull hubby for making yet another one of my dreams come true. I love you! Here are some more pics!


The banking at the track
My hubby and I

My man, Jeff Gordon!!!!

Green, Green, Green!!!
Jeff's poor car!
Last Lap!


Until next time,

Whitney





3 comments:

  1. Aww, I am so glad that you two got to go to this together :) Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I know it was a great feeling for you to be up close and personal with everything going on. Such a great husband to get you those tickets:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney,
    I am glad you had a great time! I thought about ya, when the wreck happened on the final lap. I wondered if you were anywhere close to that!

    ReplyDelete